Our reviews are long and detailed. We aim to equip readers with the best possible insight in order help them make informed decisions.
Are you looking for the best smart thermostat without a c wire?
If so, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we will provide our top picks for the best smart thermostats without C wire on the market.
Whether you’re replacing an old unit or wiring your first thermostat, we’ve got all the information you need to make sure you get the best product possible.
Let’s dive in!
Having to install a smart thermostat with a C wire is a hassle of its own.
Say goodbye to complicated installation instructions because these smart thermostats are designed to work without a C wire in most homes, making installation quick and simple.
First, let’s talk about what a C wire is and why it could be important for your thermostat.
A C wire (also known as a common wire) is an extra low-voltage power source that can provide continuous (24V) power to your thermostat.
Without this extra power source, some thermostats won’t work properly and can have limited features or be unreliable.
Now that you understand the importance of a C wire, let’s look at our top picks for best thermostats without a C wire.
To save you time, money and hassle, our team of smart home tech enthusiasts spent months rigorously testing over 10 smart thermostats without C wire out there so you can choose the one that fits your requirements perfectly.
Too busy for the full read?
Here’s the best smart thermostat without C wire in 2023
#1 Best Selling Smart Thermostat Without ‘C’ Wire – Google Nest 3rd Generation
Google Nest Learning 3rd Generation → This is the best nest thermostat without c wire that packs a great punch when it comes to saving energy, user-friendliness as well as the sleek and aesthetic look that would compliment the ambiance of any home.
The Google Nest Learning smart thermostat offers an elegant climate-controlled environment along with an intuitive display with clear temperature readings without any clutter on the screen.
For exceptional performance and accuracy, the thermostat uses the help of smart room sensors that are placed in rooms where you spend the most time and enjoy the unmatched comfort while also cutting down the zeros in your energy bills.
Our top choice is the Google Nest Learning 3rd Generation thermostat because it has all the bells and whistles most home / business owners are looking for, that certainly meets the need of a smart thermostat without C wire which makes the process of installing the thermostat even more hassle free.
The ability to make adjustments to the fan speed, cooling/heating mode, humidity level, Away mode, scheduling, history, etc., all from the convenience of your smartphone is a huge time saver.
Moreover, Nest will remind you when you should change your air filters on your furnace because it can base it upon how many times it turns on and off.
After 3 whole months of extensive trials, we experienced a decrease in energy consumption unlike any other smart thermostat out there.
The consumption reduced from 2184 kWh to 1834 kWh. It is also worth noting that the house had 3 HVAC systems regulating the heat throughout.
You will have a unique experience with the smooth and buttery navigation with the stainless steel dial on the unit that you rotate left or right to control and program the thermostat, while gently pressing on display to select the options.
Are you tired of guests / children / ghosts / co-workers tampering with the settings of your thermostat?
Not to worry, with the Nest 3rd Generation you can now lock the thermostat on your preferred schedule for optimal performance throughout and prevent others from messing with your precious energy saving device.
Nest offers a unique ‘Away mode’ feature that uses a smart learning algorithm to learn your habits; your desired temperature settings and what time you leave and return to your house using the geofence technology for optimal temperatures and save more energy.
Try our #1 recommended smart thermostat without C Wire today!
We have covered the in-depth review of our top picks below, including the Google Nest Learning 3rd Generation.
To discover more interesting facts about your next smart home purchase, continue reading. We have done the homework for you!
Short on time? Here are the Top 3 Best Smart Thermostats Without C Wire in 2023
|1. Google Nest 3rd Generation||The best nest thermostat without C wire is a breeze to install and program a nest thermostat backed by a beginner-friendly user interface.
Installing the Nest is a seamless process and can be done by anyone with a basic knowledge of thermostat wiring.
Or through YouTube if you’re a complete novice.
Offers peak convenience by allowing you to change temperatures through voice commands using Alexa with zero connectivity issues.
By using the smart room sensors, Nest can enhance your experience by increased comfort, efficiency and energy saving which makes the thermostat pay for itself.
On top of that, you get a $100 energy rebate. (Refer to your local energy company)
Compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
Program / control with ease using your smartphone no matter where you are in the world.
|2. Ecobee 3 Lite||The most functional smart thermostat without C wire that does more than just look pretty.
Allows you to have full control over your HVAC system.
You do not have to worry about integrating this device with your Google Home products as this is done automatically.
Built-in Alexa for voice commands.
Clutter free display that only shows what’s necessary; such as, current temperature, humidity levels, weather forecast, menu, settings, etc.
Installation is a breeze and if you don’t know jack about electronics, the support team got you covered.
Works like a charm with the Ecobee room temperature sensors.
If your house has a bunch of rooms, temperature could vary greatly. But with the Ecobee sensors? Not a chance!
In the absence of a C wire it is recommended to reliably power the thermostat with a power extender kit (PEK)
|3. Emerson Sensi ST55||The third best smart thermostat without C wire that saves up to 23% of energy costs and is also ENERGY STAR certified.
Easy and seamless installation process for novice folks.
Integrating Alexa for voice commands is a breeze.
The application is very intuitive, all instructions related to your thermostat are present in the app.
Has physical push buttons unlike other seemingly complicated smart thermostats. This one very simple and easy to use and program.
And for that reason it’s also a quite suitable thermostat for seniors and visually impaired.
Has the geofencing feature that allows the thermostat to work efficiently when you are present in / away from your home.
Offers clear and big temperature readings with a clutter free display which can be worthwhile for seniors.
A smart maintenance feature notifies you when it’s time to replace the air filters and provides detailed usage reports.
Sensis’ Privacy protection policy promises to not sell or share any personal information with third parties.
Top 5 Best Smart Thermostats Without C wire 2023 – Detailed Analysis
We’ll tell you everything you need to know about the most popular smart thermostat without C wire that are easy to use and install, cut down the zeros in your energy bills and are the best value for money!
1. Google Nest 3rd Generation – Best Overall
Key Takeaways: The best nest thermostat without C wire in our opinion. We chose the Nest primarily due to its energy efficient performance, reliability, ease of usage, programming and installation, with a sleek and futuristic look that compliments your smart home.
The ‘Auto Schedule’ feature uses a smart learning algorithm that adopts your habits over time and knows what temperatures you prefer on specific times throughout the day.
Nest offers an Away feature that regulates the temperatures of your house after you leave without you having to worry about your HVAC running at odd times resulting in waste of energy.
A cherry on top would be the freedom to control and monitor your thermostat’s behavior remotely through the Nest app.
Think it’s impossible to find a thermostat that does the work for you?
Meet Google Nest 3rd Generation! The best nest thermostat without C wire that learns from you and programs itself with ‘Auto-Schedule’, so no more fussing over programming.
Plus, Home/Away Assist will adjust the temperature after you leave! And with Remote Control through a compatible app, you can control your thermostat anywhere.
We advise you to read through the Nest instructions to determine what, depending on where you live, works and what doesn’t.
The first step is to take your time with the thermostat, rotate the dial to navigate through the settings, play around a couple times to make yourself familiar with the interface.
Set the desired temperature and leave the rest to ‘Auto Schedule’.
Secondly, you will not find any apparent buttons on the thermostat because the unit itself is the button.
You rotate the dial to select and navigate through the settings or temperatures and gently press on the bezel of the thermostat to run the option.
Know more and save more by seeing how much energy you use and why in Energy History – even receive Leaf alerts when a temperature setting is saving energy.
Note: With their online Compatibility Checker on the Support Page, you can check if this device is compatible with your system before purchasing it.
Save time without sacrificing comfort or convenience – all while staying eco-friendly with this revolutionary product that can do it all!
Here are a couple reasons why the Nest is the most efficient with its smart room sensors and why most of you might need them:
- If you have a room that has trouble regulating a comfortable temperature, where either it’s too hot or too cold; that’s where the sensors come in to play. Nest uses these to detect the temperatures of such rooms and instantly regulates the temperatures.
- Depending on which room/rooms you spend the most time in, you can use your smartphone/table/iPad to let the thermostat know which zone you are in and it would quickly regulate the temperatures of the room/rooms to your likings.
Using your smartphone’s app, the Nest thermostat can sense when there are people present or away from home. Because of this, it turns off instantly as soon as you walk out the house.
The minimum and maximum temperatures can still be changed, making sure that your chihuahua won’t freeze to death while you’re away. This is where the long-term cost savings begin to materialize.
Reasons to Buy
- Nest products are compatible with the If This Then That app, allowing you to automate and improve your experience.
For example; If (motion detected) Then (turn on lights). IFTTT can double as a security system for your home by sending you notifications whenever motion is detected.
- Compared to its competitors, its a breeze to install a nest thermostat and only requires an approximate of 10 – 15 mins to remove the old unit and replace it with the Nest.
- Nest walks you through the installation process on their website which also helps you figure out whether or not your existing wiring is compatible with the newer thermostats.
- Guaranteed to save you a ton of money in the long run. After 1 month of installing the Nest it saved us around $50 in electricity bills and cut down the $1600 expense of gas that we would otherwise pay every 6 months.
- The Nest is equipped with a motion sensor that utilizes a ‘Far sight’ feature which if detects movement from up to 10 feet away, will light up the display showing the current temperature.
- The best thing about this in our opinion is that you get to control and view almost everything about the Nest on your smartphone. (Fan, cooling/heating modes, humidity levels, Away/home mode, setting up a schedule, usage history, etc.)
- A smart maintenance feature notifies you when it’s time to replace the air filters and provides detailed usage reports.
- You will not have to deal with any extraordinary clutter of different options on the display. The temperature readings are big and bright enough to be seen from a distance.
- Integrating Wi-Fi, Amazon Alexa, Google home or Apple HomeKit is painless process throughout.
- It has a feature called ‘Sunblock’. When this is active, a sun icon will be visible on the display. With the help of UV ray detectors, Nest will know if it’s under sunlight which would prevent it to not amp up the AC.
It is recommended to turn this On if your thermostat is installed near a window or a spot where it is under direct sunlight to avoid wasting energy.
- Compared to other smart thermostats, you will get to fully control and manage your Nest thermostat without ever feeling like you’re fighting it to keep the temperatures to your desired level.
- Nest has another really cool feature that would set the bar high enough for its competitors. It allows you to set temperature thresholds.
This is helpful specially if where you live has varying temperatures throughout the day or when its spring season.
The threshold will allow you to run the AC during the afternoon and turn on the heat by midnight to warm you up while saving the most amount of energy possible.
Reasons to Avoid
- The temperature set-point is displayed with a big two inch font in the center while the ACTUAL room temperature is displayed on the outer ring with a much smaller font size.
- Although the C wire is not needed for Nest. However, in some rare cases you might need a C wire or else it would steal power from either the furnace or the AC unit. Personally, we did not come across any such setbacks.
But for that reason it’s recommended that one should know how to add a common wire to thermostat.
- You must have Wi-Fi connectivity to have it running out of the box. So you won’t be able to get your house temperature under control without Wi-Fi.
- The thermostat might go into Away (Eco) mode with everybody in the house if you do not pass in front of it a couple times for it know that you’re not Away. Hence, it is best to disable Eco mode when you’re home to avoid the hassle.
- Alexa is unable to switch the modes from “Eco” to “Home”, that has to be done either via the Nest app or physically at thermostat itself.
- Wiring the Nest is pretty easy but making the wires stay in place could be a problem if you’re a DIYer. It is recommended to call for a technician if you don’t feel confident wiring your thermostat.
That’s all there is to the Google Nest thermostat without C wire. It is hands down one of our most frequently used smart appliances in the MetaDomotics’ studio and our homes as well.
You simply need to do some initial research and, if necessary, call for help.
2. Ecobee 3 Lite – Best Runner Up Thermostat Without C Wire
Key Takeaways: The perfect Wi-Fi thermostat without C wire for anyone looking to get started with the smart home solutions. It has all the bells and whistles you would ever need or look for in a smart thermostat.
If you face any adversities with the Google Nest Gen 3 thermostat…
Then you can 100% rely on the Ecobee 3 lite that would embrace you with type of comfort and reliability that you’re looking for which makes Ecobee the best alternative to Nest thermostats.
Ecobee3 Lite is the perfect device for any home.
It’s ENERGY STAR certified with an included smart sensor (worth $50) that adjusts the temperature in the rooms that matter most so you don’t have any hot or cold spots.
You can even control it from anywhere with your smartphone. Plus, it integrates seamlessly with your preferred smart home system – all at an unbeatable price.
With Ecobee3 Lite, you can look forward to saving up to 26% per year on heating and cooling costs while enjoying total comfort, convenience and added control – no more worrying about running up expensive energy bills!
And with Siri and Alexa Built-in for calls, music and added control (Apple HomePod mini required to enable Siri), you don’t even have to get off the couch!
Gas, Oil, Electric, Dual Fuel heaters, great conventional 2H/2C thermostat heat pumps 4H/2C Humidifiers Dehumidifiers Ventilators HRV/ERV systems – everything you need all in one place!
The Ecobee comes with built-in geofencing which makes use of the location from your smartphone to determine whether you’re home or not.
The feature also enables you to set a perimeter outside of which the mobile app will detect and signal the Ecobee that you have left the premises.
It is worth noting that the Ecobee Lite 3 is limited to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi frequency band.
The part of the setup where the Ecobee attempts to set the Wi-Fi profile on the thermostat using the Wi-Fi profile from your smartphone may not work properly if your phone is connected via 5GHz.
A quick loophole for this would be to bypass this process and manually connecting the Ecobee.
During setup, you’ll be prompted to select your preferred network name (SSID) and enter the password.
Without a C wire, it is recommended to use a Power Extender Kit to reliably power the thermostat.
Reasons to Buy
- For people who live in a hot/dry climate with over the top electricity bills, while your AC is also not cooling like it should be then it’s all because you don’t have an Ecobee to handle the situation.
With Ecobee you are guaranteed to cut down the zeros in your energy bills while improving comfort levels like never before.
- Plus with increased humidity levels you should have a dehumidifier in your cart by now if you don’t already have it. But wait, what if I tell you Ecobee has your back here as well!
Using a feature called “Overcool”, the user can specify the ideal target humidity levels and temperature threshold below which they can allow the AC to operate.
- It keeps you on board with all the energy consumption statistics on their website for you to analyze so you actually know what’s going on.
- The thermostat can not only detect which room you are in but can also tell if you left the house and automatically goes into the Away mode.
This would keep the house at the temperature you set for when you aren’t home. And re-enters Home mode when you’re home. This can save you big time on energy costs.
- The room sensors are the real winner with the Ecobee. Get yourself a pair and your house will feel different in the best way possible.
- It enables you to set up multiple comfort settings like sleep, home, away etc. Then create a schedule for when each comfort setting is running. You can also specify which room sensors you want active during the comfort setting.
- It’s an overall breeze to set up the thermostat via the app or manually, to program and to install the thermostat because the thermostat gives clear instructions in all aspects.
- The best feature in our opinion is that if at any point the Wi-Fi connectivity is lost, the unit itself would continue to control your HVAC system locally using all the programming and configurations you have done.
- This newer Ecobee thermostat is significantly much more responsive than the previous model.
Reasons to Avoid
- You may find yourself in a situation where you would order multiple sensors along the thermostat and you would recieve faulty sensors that would eat up the batteries within 24 hours. Thanks to the product support though, you can get them replaced hassle-free.
- You could face Wi-Fi connectivity issues due to some units having bugs that are not taken care of by the product support.
- The customer support may come out to be poor at times but it all comes down to your luck in this regard because you do find good customer support as well.
- There is no way to sync personal weather stations with the thermostat so you’re forced to rely on Ecobee’s AI temperature calculation for your area which may have some flaws resulting in inaccurate outdoor temperature readings.
- If you lose your Wi-Fi connection for some reason, you would have to manually connect it back to the Wi-Fi through its physical panel instead of automatically trying to reconnect to the internet.
Overall, if you are a seasoned home technology person, or if you are looking to add some smart home features this Ecobee 3 lite is a great buy.
Automating your HVAC is the easiest way to save on energy costs and Ecobee 3 Lite does a great job of introducing you to the smart home technology.
3. Emerson Sensi ST55 – Best Wifi Thermostat Without C Wire
The Emerson Sensi ST55 is one of our favorites. It’s a simple yet smart like the rest of the thermostats without any complexities.
If you’re someone who’s looking to make their lives easier with a simple and easy to use smart thermostat without C wire that has all the perks of a flashy thermostat that too at an unbeatable price, then the Sensi ST55 is for you.
Disclaimer: Do Not let the instructions in the box confirm your fears of needing a C wire to for the thermostat to work. Simply ignore them and have faith and carry on with your installation. It works seamlessly even without a C wire.
We’ll start with the insane price point because it made us drool over the value for money we were getting with this unit.
Our utility company offered a $100 rebate on Wi-Fi thermostats which basically made this unit free of cost (Refer to your local utility company for rebate options).
With that out of the way, the Emerson Sensi ST55 is a thermostat with all the bells & whistles.
The unit has a decently sized display with big temperature readings mostly suitable for elder folks.
It comes with push buttons that most people find far better to work with than a touch display.
Moreover, you use the screen lockout feature that would prevent children or guests from tampering with the settings of your thermostat.
The Emerson Sensi ST55 is one of the smartest, most convenient HVAC systems out there.
It has all the features you need in a modern thermostat – like flexible scheduling, remote access, and usage reports – so you can save about 23% on your HVAC energy costs.
Plus, it comes with built-in levels and step-by-step app instructions so installation is a breeze.
And when that’s all done, you can use Sensi to help monitor the performance of your system while getting valuable usage reports and maintenance reminders too!
With Sensi’s advanced technology combined with easy installation capabilities, it won’t be long before all these amazing features become part of your home life.
Cut down on time spent managing your temperature settings and start enjoying them remotely today!
On top of that, rest assured knowing that Sensor Privacy Protection promises not to sell or share any personal information with third parties.
The thermostat is most likely to fit and cover the same place as your traditional thermostat so you would not have to spend time and money worrying about painting the walls.
Reasons to Buy
- With the help of physical push buttons, you or your guests can avoid the learning curve and jump straight to changing the settings of the temperature setting of the thermostat hassle-free.
However, with the help of app control you are able to remotely monitor the changes being made to the thermostat
- The app allows you to set a schedule, adjust the temperatures and even use the geofencing feature that automatically sets the temperature to the desired levels when you’re not present in the house.
- Smoothly integrates with Alexa and is a breeze to install and set up.
- The algorithm makes use of a ‘high heat’ feature that heats up the house relatively quickly which saves way more energy compared to the standard time it takes to do the same task.
- The thermostat works amazingly well even with a six zone boiler heating systems which is two wire system without a C wire.
- Sensi was thoughtful enough to add a level on the base-plate to ensure straight and evenly positioned installation.
- Not too large to look obnoxious as it may come off in pictures, it is decently sized with a big display and clear temperature readings.
- You have the freedom and luxury to play around with all the features of any top of the line expensive thermostats.
Setting up daytime cycles, nighttime cycles, vacation mode, turning the AC up when you leave the house, view the current temperatures of the house, track humidity levels. Basically, you can do all sorts of things easily through the app.
- Outstanding manual controls and screen visibility.
- Once the set up is complete you are free to control almost anything about the thermostat from your smartphone. It’s nice to regulate the temperatures on your way home for increased comfort.
- It can be configured to work with all kinds of HVAC systems.
- Ample flexibility to create multiple programs with as many or as few schedule steps as you wish.
- In the event of a power outage, if you lose your Wi-Fi connection by any chance, the thermostat will reconnect right back up in seconds without needing to go through the Wi-Fi set up operations all over again.
- You’re able to lock out the manual operations of the thermostat from the app to prevent unwanted tampering.
- Like most smart thermostats this one does not have the “learning” feature. Therefore, offering you full control over the thermostat as long as you have stable Wi-Fi connectivity.
- We got $100 rebate on Wi-Fi thermostats by our utility company which made the price of the thermostat ridiculously low (Refer to your local utility company for rebate options).
Reasons to Avoid
- Sensi customer support did receive some backlash. Although during the trial period of this thermostat we did not feel the need to reach out for support but they do seem to hold a bad reputation.
- It’s disappointing that such a wonderful unit doesn’t work with room sensors.
- Connecting the thermostat to Wi-Fi is the only major con of this unit. We faced multiple issues connecting it to Wi-Fi and had to use it as a dumb thermostat until it finally connected one day which seemed like pure luck.
Although we’re skeptical of the fact that the unit we received was not defective considering all the positive reviews on this product.
- You must use the app to set everything up, and the app makes you go through a tedious, step-by-step process that is intended for the less tech savvy.
- Even though Sensi offers a Privacy Protection policy it would still ask you some very personal information like your home address and phone number because you won’t get far in the set up without giving up your information.
- During the set up if you lose connection at any point during the set up, you would have to repeat the whole set up process manually all over again.
This usually happens if the firmware needs an update.
There is no indication of a firmware update on the app or on the thermostat so if you encounter this issue, it’s usually the firmware demanding an update. If not, then feel free to reach out for support.
That’s it in a nutshell for the Emerson Sensi ST55 smart thermostat without C wire.
It’s probably one of our most favorite HVAC smart appliance here in our studio. Works as advertised, you just have to do a little homework up-front and call for help if you need to.
4. Nest Learning Thermostat E – Best Value for Novice Nest Users
Key Takeaways: The Nest Learning E Thermostat is the best value for money thermostat for first time Nest buyers.
This has all the functions of a regular Nest thermostat and is a cheaper alternative to Nest Gen 3.
Which is why they discontinued this model because the value was so good that they were probably not making any money lol!
The Nest E is a 6 wire system that will cover about 85% of households.
If you’re not sure if it is compatible with your HVAC system, you can always head over to the Nest website to see what system yours is compatible with.
Nest Thermostat E makes it easy and stress-free to keep your home climate regulated. With its sleek design and straightforward installation process, you can have this top-of-the-line technology up and running in no time!
This Nest thermostat without C wire is easy to use and intuitively knows when you’re not home so it can turn down the heat while you’re gone. Plus, its Heat Link E thermostat connection works with all major heating systems.
Transform the way you think about energy efficiency in one easy step by purchasing Nest E! Imagine a world where all of your needs are met without having to break the bank every month with high energy bills.
With added smart functions like voice control using any home assistant and an included schedule system, it’s never been easier or more efficient to stay comfortable at an affordable price!
Plus, the frosted display and sleek design of the Nest Thermostat E will make your home look more modern than ever.
Reasons to Buy
- Takes about 15 minutes to install for a DIY installer.
- Works well with the smart room sensors so you’re able to control the temperature of the rooms you spend the most time in.
- The learning algorithm and the motion detection both work really well contrary to a general belief.
- Your power company may offer you rebates on the Nest E, the value of the rebate varies on your province.
- Using the Nest E is extremely simple, once it’s set up, it the smart learning automatically sets up a schedule for you based on when you’re home and what times you adjust the temperatures.
- Remotely control the thermostat from your smartphone from anywhere using the Nest app.
- Works almost as good as the more expensive thermostats.
- Looks clean on the wall and blends perfectly with all environments.
- The best house warming gift you can give to someone without breaking the bank.
- Starts auto adjusting itself just 1 week after learning your preferences.
- You can charge the thermostat with a USB cable in case you see the unit is dying unexpectedly.
Reasons to Avoid
- Voice control cannot be used to turn on or off the fan. IFTTT would be your only option if you wanted to do this.
- Overall, it works well but is a little overkill for someone only looking for a remotely controllable programmable thermostat without C wire.
- This thing has a mind of its own and can be frustrating at times when you tell it stop being “smart” and follow your intructions.
- Keep in mind that this model is discontinued and only available to Nest pro users. Therefore, you’re getting a refurbished version that may or may not have a few annoying quirks.
That’s it in a nutshell for the Google Nest E Thermostat. You just have to do a little homework up-front and call for help if you need to.
5. Google Nest Thermostat – Google Nest Thermostat Without C Wire
The newer Google Nest thermostat without C wire is not only half the price of the Nest learning 3rd Generation thermostat but instead of using the Nest app to control the thermostat you can use the Google Home app to perform the same tasks.
For our electric heating system is, the new Nest thermostat saved us hundreds of dollars in energy costs. With a sleek and modern look with customizable wall-plates this, truly is the future of smart home technology.
Say hello to Nest, your energy-saving companion! With the Google Nest Thermostat, you can easily control your home’s temperature with just your voice or smartphone.
It’s a breeze to install, connects wirelessly with compatible smart devices like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant and is ENERGY STAR certified so you know it’s efficient.
Takes just about 30 minutes or less on average to wire the thermostat on your own!
It doesn’t even require a C wire! Not only will you save energy and stay comfortable at home but Nest Thermostat also turns itself down when you leave, so you don’t waste energy heating or cooling an empty house – now that’s pretty cool!
Plus, with the compatibility checker, it makes sure that any other accessories needed for installation are safe for use with the thermostat.
A revolutionary programmable thermostat that lets you manage and create an energy-efficient schedule from anywhere in the world.
Use it to adjust temperatures remotely with your smartphone, laptop or tablet, as well as voice commands.
Enjoy maintenance reminders along with HVAC monitoring designed to look out for your heating and cooling systems and alert you if something doesn’t seem right.
Running late but still want a comfy house when getting back?
No problem – use Google Nest to turn up the heat before ever arriving home.
With continued savings month after month coupled with help from local energy providers, there’s never been a better time to make smart devices like these more accessible and affordable for everyone!
A key difference between this newer Nest thermostat and previous Nest thermostats is that Google has added an innovative touch sensing feature to control the thermostat unlike a rotating dial from the previous models.
A touch sensor on the right hand side of the thermostat enables you to slide your finger up and down and tap to select the option.
You can make the same adjustments in the Google Home app or via voice commands as well.
The Nest thermostat comes with a mirrored LED display with the temperature readings visible clearly from behind the mirror.
Reasons to Buy
- The price is significantly reduced on the newer Nest thermostat compared to the Nest learning 3rd Generation.
It is half the price, plus with the energy saving rebates, you don’t break the bank at all. The thermostat pays for itself once it starts to reduce the energy costs of your household.
- Installing the thermostat is fairly easy and quite similar to the Nest E thermostat set up. The 85% compatibility percentage with heating/cooling systems is also same as the Nest E thermostat.
- Serves its purpose well enough without the C wire.
- Reliable remote control operation when compared with Amazon smart thermostat.
- It has the ability to track heating and cooling while away, perfect for frequent travelers.
- Compatibility with the popular “Google Home” app, making it easy to integrate into your smart home ecosystem.
- Holds immense potential for future updates and improvements to enhance the user experience.
- Stable Wifi connection and reliable app servers, eliminating concerns about flakiness or downtime.
- Accessible online compatibility check, allowing users to verify if their current wiring setup is compatible before purchasing.
- Supports either 2-stage heating or 2-stage cooling, ensuring suitable performance for systems with either of these features.
- Ability to add household members and grant access to the thermostat via the Home app.
- This thermostat connects a bit differently to the base-plate. It has tiny pins that slide into the terminals, plus you get two externally mounted batteries. So if the thermostat ever goes dead you just replace the batteries with the two new AAA batteries.
This gives the newer Nest thermostat a slight edge over previous Nest thermostats didn’t have easily accessible or changeable batteries.
Reasons to Avoid
- The newer Nest thermostat does not offer the ability to use sensors for you to be able to control temperatures in different areas/rooms of your house other than the one where the thermostat is installed.
- The new Nest thermostat is no longer compatible with the Nest app. It connects directly to the Google Home app.
So if you have other Nest devices like a Nest camera, Nest doorbell, or a Nest lock, all those devices will still be functional on the Nest app instead of this thermostat.
However, the Google Home app still offers the features that were offered on the Nest app but it might take some time to get used to the interface for some people.
- It does not come with any base-plates, so you would have to pay for one separately if you want to avoid the hassle to paint your wall after removing your old thermostat.
- The new Nest thermostat is no longer compatible with the Nest room temperature sensors.
- The number of control options are limited on the unit itself. For instance, you can longer set a schedule on the unit itself instead you would do that inside the Google Home app.
Hence, it is necessary for the thermostat to be connected to Wi-Fi to be able to make such adjustments from the app.
- It is not compatible with as many number of heating/cooling systems as the Nest 3rd Generation thermostat.
To sum the new 2020 version Google Nest thermostat up, the real question you should be asking yourself is..
Are you willing to pay less for less features and accessibility on the unit, or do you want a Nest thermostat without C wire with all the features like remote sensors, the outer rotating bezel and more accessibility on the thermostat itself.
Or maybe you’re somebody who has a several Nest devices and has all of them on the Nest app. Then choosing the Nest 3rd Generation thermostat would be a viable decision in your case.
We’ve done our research and provided options that will fit any budget and offer great features like voice control, geofencing, scheduling and more.
These smart thermostats without c wire are easy to install and provide quick access to intelligent settings and apps so your home can be comfortable when you want it and energy efficient when you don’t.
No matter what type of home or décor style you have, there is surely a perfect option available on our list that fits your needs.
So go ahead and make your choice – whichever one of these devices you choose you will get a powerful, durable and long lasting smart thermostat that won’t require a c wire!