Hey there, welcome to our blog post on the Ring security system review where we’ll cover every bit and detail about these systems—the good, the bad, and whether it’s worth your hard-earned cash.
Whether it’s your family’s safety, the protection of your belongings, or just the priceless reassurance that everything is as it should be, we understand the pressing concerns that led you here.
Today we’re putting the Ring Security System under the microscope. We’ll dissect its features, and give you the full scoop on how it can crank up your home security to a level that rivals even Area 51’s security measures.
Ring Security System Reviews – Detailed Analysis
Ring Security System Reviews: Ring Alarm vs. Ring Alarm Pro
In this section, we’ll be comparing both 2nd generation Ring security systems side by side and unraveling what’s actually changed.
After rigorous testing and using both systems for about 2 years now, we present to you the key differences between these alarm systems to help you make an informed decision.
1. Cosmetic Differences
- There have been some aesthetic variances between the two. Ring Alarm Pro has a larger hub compared to Ring Alarm.
- Other cosmetic differences are visible in the contact sensors, keypad, range extender, and motion detector.
- Ring Alarm Pro hub has an additional ethernet port and an SD card slot. Now if you own a Ring ecosystem, this is a game changer.
With the local storage option of up to 512 GB, you can now save and share videos from your Ring Indoor Cam & Stick Up Cam, Ring Video Doorbells, and the Ring Floodlight Cam, without having to shell out a 100 bucks every year for cloud storage.
- Ring introduces a new subscription model for the Ring Alarm Pro called the Ring Protect Pro. Here’s everything Ring Protect Pro has to offer that the regular Ring Protect plan doesn’t.
- 24/7 backup internet of 3 GB to keep your entire Ring ecosystem functioning in the event of a power/internet outage.
Please note: This feature alone justifies the $20 per month Protect Pro subscription as it is a failover option that’s fairly priced and inexpensive compared to other failover alternatives out there.
Crooks are resorting to cutting your main power and cable lines to disable traditional alarm systems, a concerning trend reported in many articles.
With this new “Pro” option, your home remains safeguarded and connected. Importantly, competitors like Vivint, ADT, SimplySafe, and others do not offer this feature.
- You also get the option to add more bandwidth for $3 per GB. In case you’re not satisfied with the initial 3 GB.
- Serves as a firewall for your online endeavors. With eero Secure, you can protect your online activity by blocking ads, and have the ability to add parental control and protection against malicious websites.
- You are eligible for eero Secure upon setting up the Ring Alarm Pro. Requires no additional setup.
- Ring states that the components of Ring Alarm and Ring Alarm Pro are interchangeable.
- You can mix and match generations as needed, allowing you to replace damaged parts without having to buy an entirely new system.
5. Base Station
- Aside from being an alarm base station, the Ring Alarm Pro’s base station also acts as a router. Say goodbye to dead spots as you’ll have better coverage throughout your home.
6. Battery Convenience
- The Ring Alarm Pro comes with an internal backup lithium-ion battery that can last up to 24 hours in lower power mode. In the lower power mode, only a limited set of security features, like Alarm Cellular Backup, are accessible.
The Ring Alarm Pro is also compatible with the Ring Power Pack which keeps you prepared for the unexpected.
This dependable backup system seamlessly switches your Ring devices to backup batteries, keeping your home security intact.
Don’t wait for the next outage to wish you had them. It’s a small addition with a big impact.
Key Takeaways: If you’re not tech-savvy don’t worry. Setting up this Ring Alarm is a breeze. The package comes with clear instructions, making it accessible even for beginners.
You can say goodbye to the hefty monthly fees of other security systems like ADT, and what’s even cooler is that Ring’s sensors are compatible with some ADT components.
The Ring Alarm app is designed with simplicity in mind. It’s fairly intuitive and you won’t need a manual to navigate it.
Unlike traditional security systems, Ring Alarm doesn’t come with those finicky glass break sensors that often trigger false alarms.
Instead, you can get creative by placing window/door sensors strategically on the glass itself. That way, if someone smashes the window, the alarm goes off. Alexa Guard is another handy backup option.
Ring offers flexibility in building your security package. You’re not stuck with a pre-made kit that includes items you might not need.
Ring Alarm’s cellular backup is powered by AT&T, ensuring your system stays connected even during internet outages. Just be sure to check the AT&T service coverage in your area.
Compared to traditional monitoring services, Ring Alarm offers competitive pricing. You can enjoy professional monitoring for a lower monthly fee, and you get a 10% discount on future Ring products when you sign up.
The Ring Alarm is designed to fit seamlessly into 1-2 bedroom homes. It includes essentials like the Base Station, Keypad, Contact Sensors, Motion Detector, and Range Extender.
- Intuitive Control
With the included Keypad, you can easily arm and disarm your Alarm. The Contact Sensors are your vigilant guardians, instantly alerting you when doors or windows are opened.
Don’t settle for one-size-fits-all security. You have the flexibility to pick the Ring Alarm Kit that suits your unique needs.
You can expand your protection at any time with additional Alarm Sensors and accessories, sold separately.
- Ring App
Connect your Ring Alarm to the Ring app with a Ring Protect Plan (subscription required, sold separately).
Get real-time mobile notifications when your system is triggered. You can change your Alarm modes and keep an eye on all your Ring devices from the app.
- Professional Monitoring
Elevate your protection with optional Alarm Professional Monitoring for just $20/month with a Ring Protect Pro Plan.
You’ll enjoy round-the-clock emergency response for police, fire, and medical situations. Plus, your Ring Alarm stays online even during power outages, ensuring continuous security.
- Alexa Integration
If you’re into voice control, here’s the wow factor – with a Ring Protect Plan (subscription required, sold separately), you can arm and disarm your Ring Alarm with a simple voice command using Alexa.
Reasons to Buy
1. Cost Effective
- If you’re tired of shelling out big bucks for security systems like ADT, Ring Alarm might be your perfect solution. It offers reliable security without breaking the bank.
- Ring Alarm doesn’t force you into a one-size-fits-all package. You have the freedom to build your system exactly the way you want it.
- Start with the basics, like window/door sensors and motion detectors, and expand as needed.
3. Effortless Setup
- Installing the Ring Alarm is a breeze. You can have your whole system up and running in no time.
4. Smart Motion Sensors
- The motion sensors are smart and customizable. You have full control over which areas they monitor.
- This ensures you’re only alerted to what matters most to you. No more false alarms triggered by kids’ toys or accidental loud noises.
5. App Control
- With the Ring Alarm app, you’re in charge. Control your entire security system from your smartphone.
- Say goodbye to carrying around extra devices like remotes.
6. Integration with Other Ring Products
- The Ring Alarm system seamlessly integrates with other Ring devices, such as Ring Cameras and Ring Doorbells.
7. Multi-Device Accessibility
- You can access the Ring Alarm system from multiple devices, including smartphones, tablets, and PCs.
8. Sturdy Build
- Ring products are known for their durability. The Ring Alarm system is built to last, providing long-term security for your home.
9. Customer Support
- Ring is renowned for its excellent customer service. If you encounter any issues or have questions, their responsive support team is ready to assist you.
- The Ring app allows you to customize and automate your home security settings.
11. Battery Backup
- The Ring Alarm base station comes with battery backup. This feature ensures that your security system remains active even during power outages.
12. Audible Announcements
- The Ring Alarm can announce the presence of visitors through devices like the Echo Show, creating a smart and interactive home security experience.
- The Ring Alarm system isn’t limited to traditional home use. You can even use it in your RV if you choose to. It can be adapted for various security needs, making it a versatile choice.
Reasons to Avoid
1. No Arming Status Indicator
- Unlike some traditional alarm systems that display the arming status on an LCD screen, the Ring Alarm keypad lacks a visual indicator to confirm the arming status at a glance.
- However, the armed/disarmed status can be checked through the app.
2. Dependence on Mobile App
- The Ring Alarm system relies heavily on the mobile app for control and monitoring.
- While this is convenient for many users, it may pose challenges for those who prefer physical controls or are not comfortable with smartphone apps.
3. Limited Indicator Range
- The keypad’s indicator lights have a limited range, and they only stay on when you’re in close proximity.
4. Wi-Fi Dependence
- Ring Alarm relies on your home Wi-Fi network for communication. In the event of a Wi-Fi outage, the system’s functionality may be compromised, potentially leaving your home vulnerable.
5. Minor Setup Learning Curve
- While the Ring Alarm system is generally easy to set up, some users might encounter a learning curve when it comes to customizing certain settings, especially if they are new to smart home security systems.
6. . Range Extender Limitation
- The range extenders provided with the Ring Alarm system are somewhat weak. This can result in occasional “weak connection” warnings, especially for indoor devices located far from the base station.
7. Duress Code Setup
- Configuring a Duress Code, which is an important security feature, can be perplexing due to discrepancies between written/online instructions and the Alexa app’s guidance.
Key Takeaways: First and foremost, this kit delivers unmatched peace of mind just like its precursor. It covers all bases with components like motion detectors, door/window sensors, a base station, and more.
Installation and expansion are remarkably simple. The system can be easily configured via the web or mobile app, and adding new devices is a breeze.
Plus, you have the flexibility to create custom zones and arming options tailored to your needs.
This hub/base station seamlessly links with other Ring devices and compatible smart gadgets, making it a central command for your smart home.
Control lights, locks, and cameras from one place, and tailor the system to your exact needs.
The Ring ecosystem offers even more in the Ring Protect Pro subscription, like professional monitoring, video recording, 24/7 internet backup, and neighborhood alerts.
Its professional monitoring service ensures rapid response times. In the event of an alarm trigger, the police are promptly notified, providing a sense of security that’s hard to put a price on. At just $20 per month, it’s an affordable layer of protection.
But what sets the Ring Alarm Pro apart is its 5G cellular monitoring and 5G internet backup.
This means your security system stays online even during internet outages, ensuring uninterrupted coverage.
The system’s affordability is another standout feature, especially when compared to other security systems on the market.
However, there are some minor inconveniences, like the door chime being limited to the main control box and keypads.
To overcome this, you may need an Echo/Alexa device for remote areas, although this might pose HIPAA issues in certain environments.
While there have been reports of initial connectivity issues, software updates have resolved these concerns.
- Built-in Wi-Fi 6 Router
The Ring Alarm Pro is the ultimate home security system with an impressive built-in eero Wi-Fi 6 router.
This combination not only safeguards your home against break-ins but also ensures your entire connected ecosystem runs on a secure mesh Wi-Fi network.
- What’s in the Box?
In the box, you’ll find the Alarm Pro Base Station, two Keypads, eight Contact Sensors for windows and doors, two Motion Detectors for hallways or rooms, and an Alarm Range Extender.
- Expandable Coverage
The coverage is expandable with additional Alarm Sensors and eero 6 extenders, allowing you to customize your protection. With speeds of up to 900 Mbps, it blankets up to 1,500 sq. ft.
- Online Threat Protection
What’s more, you can opt for online threat protection for added security. Setting up this comprehensive system is a breeze using the Ring and eero apps.
- Professional Monitoring
By subscribing to the Ring Protect Pro Plan, you gain access to 24/7 professional monitoring, ensuring swift responses in emergencies.
- 24/7 Internet Backup
Plus, the Backup Internet feature keeps your devices online even during an internet outage. And, of course, it’s better with Alexa, enabling voice commands for arming and disarming your Ring Alarm.
Reasons to Buy
1. Seamless Integration
- The Ring Alarm Pro effortlessly integrates with your existing Ring cameras and doorbells.
- This means that right out of the box, you can have a comprehensive home security setup that works harmoniously.
2. Easy Setup
- Installing and managing the Ring Alarm Pro is a breeze. Whether you’re a tech novice or an experienced user, the system is designed for a hassle-free setup.
3. Two KeyPads
- The inclusion of two keypads in the 14-pack bundle is a notable advantage for those who prefer manual accessibility instead of the Ring app.
- Having multiple keypads allows you to conveniently control your alarm system from different areas of your home, ensuring quick access to arming and disarming.
4. Tailored Security Needs
- The Ring Alarm Pro package offers contact alarms for doors and windows, smoke/CO detectors, flood sensors, garage door sensors, glass breakage detectors, and motion sensors.
- This wide array of components ensures that you can tailor your security to your specific needs.
5. Secure Wi-Fi Network
- The built-in Wi-Fi in the Ring Alarm Pro serves as a secure network, especially suitable for the alarm system with its battery backup.
- With the integration of Eero, the Ring Alarm Pro offers safety settings for internet activity and provides logs for bandwidth testing and other Wi-Fi-related issues.
- This feature simplifies troubleshooting and ensures your network remains secure.
6. Cost-Effective Monitoring
- Ring’s monitoring service is competitively priced, making professional monitoring an affordable option for homeowners. You get the peace of mind of 24/7 monitoring without breaking the bank.
- The Ring Alarm Pro offers geofencing features, allowing you to customize the system’s behavior based on your location. This means you won’t receive unnecessary alerts while at home.
8. Easy Transition
- If you’re already using Ring devices such as cameras and doorbells, transitioning to the Ring Alarm Pro is seamless.
- You can also consolidate your Ring devices onto the new Ring eero router for enhanced network security.
9. Responsive Monitoring
- Its standout feature is the remarkably quick response time to alarms.
- In the event of a triggered alarm, the system notifies the police within minutes, ensuring a swift and professional response.
10. Dual 5G Connectivity
- Not only does it offer 5G cellular monitoring, but it also provides 5G backup for your primary internet connection.
- This means you have a robust backup internet source, ensuring uninterrupted service even if your primary connection falters.
11. Customizable Arming Options
- It provides flexibility in arming options. You can create custom zones that suit your specific needs, allowing you to arm the system precisely the way you want.
12. User-Friendly Battery Replacement
- Maintenance is a breeze with the Ring Alarm Pro. When it’s time to replace the batteries in the sensors, the process is straightforward.
- The system even alerts you if any batteries are running low, ensuring your security devices remain operational.
Reasons to Avoid
1. No Separation of Wi-Fi Channels
- The Eero device lacks the ability to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi channels.
- This can cause issues with devices that don’t work well with the 5GHz channel, even when you temporarily switch it off.
2. Limited Configuration Options
- The Eero device can only be configured and monitored through the mobile app, with no web URL access.
- This limitation can be frustrating, especially when you’re in front of your PC and want to check settings.
3. Insufficient Ethernet Ports
- The Eero switch only offers one Ethernet port, which can be limiting if you have multiple devices that need a hardwired connection.
- To expand your network, you’ll need to purchase an additional switch.
4. Lack of Spare Adhesive Pads
- Ring’s sensors come with adhesive pads for installation, but there are no spare pads included.
- If you need to reposition a sensor or encounter installation issues, you may face challenges without extra adhesive pads.
5. Lack of Local Storage
- Local storage for video recordings is blocked behind a paywall, which means you can’t use your own SD card without subscribing to the Ring Protect Pro plan.
- Additionally, even with this plan, you can’t use both local and cloud storage simultaneously, limiting your options.
Frequently Asked Questions
is ring a good security system?
Ring is a solid choice for home security. It’s a cost-effective, user-friendly, and highly responsive self-installed alarm system.
Its easy setup, robust customer support, and compatibility with other Ring devices make it a top choice for those seeking a comprehensive and hassle-free security system.
what is ring home security?
Ring Home Security is a system designed to help protect your home. It includes devices like Ring video doorbells, floodlight cameras, motion detectors, and alarms that keep an eye on your property.
which ring security system is best?
The best Ring security system depends on your specific needs. If you’re looking for a basic yet effective home security setup, the Ring Alarm is a good choice.
It includes motion detectors, contact sensors for doors and windows, and a keypad for arming and disarming.
For more advanced features like video monitoring and a wider range of devices, the Ring Alarm Pro may be better. It offers additional connectivity options, dual 5G connectivity, quick professional monitoring, scalability, and much more.
Ultimately, the “best” system is the one that fits your home and preferences. Consider your budget, the size of your property, and the level of security you want when choosing between the Ring Alarm and Ring Alarm Pro.
is ring alarm wireless?
Yes, Ring Alarm is a wireless home security system. It doesn’t need cables running through your home because its components, like sensors and keypads, communicate wirelessly and are battery-operated.
Batteries that last up to 3 years depending on the usage. But you won’t have to worry about drilling holes or hiding wires.
what security systems work with ring?
Ring security systems work with a range of smart security devices including Schlage deadbolts, Yale deadbolts, Kwikset smart locks, Level bolt and lock, smart bulbs, Amazon smart plugs, Wemo smart plugs, and many more.
Moreover, Ring security systems are compatible with IFTTT and Z-Wave protocols.
While we haven’t listed every product that works with these protocols, you can generally expect devices that use IFTTT or Z-Wave to be compatible with your Ring system.
Ring Security System Review: Final Thoughts
In wrapping up our Ring security system review, there are a couple of key takeaways worth noting.
First and foremost, the Ring Security System offers a versatile and user-friendly way to enhance your home’s security. From video doorbells to motion detectors and alarms, Ring has something for everyone.
Plus, with the convenience of mobile app control, you can stay connected and in control no matter where you are.
Secondly, if you’re considering an upgrade or new additions, the Ring Alarm Pro is a notable option with its advanced features.
And don’t forget that compatibility and flexibility are at the heart of the Ring ecosystem, allowing you to build a customized security setup that suits your needs.
So, whether you’re just starting with Ring or considering an upgrade, our Ring security system review has hopefully shed some light on how to keep your home safer and more connected.