Portable air conditioners are one of the best solutions to combat heat in summer. They have become a perfect match to beat this heat during summertime as they are very easy to install and move from one room to another.
In this article, you find information regarding the lifespan of an air conditioner and how it is impacted by some external factors.
Portable air conditioners have different lifespans depending on their quality and features.
Usually, as per the energy department, an average air conditioner of good quality has a lifespan of 5-10 years. But some factors have a direct impact on the lifespan of air conditioners.
Factors Affecting the Lifespan of a Portable Air Conditioner
Wear and tear play an important part in the lifespan of an air conditioner. The components of an air conditioner are built to endure wear and tear up to a certain level. Usage can influence the lifespan of air conditioners in many ways such as:
- Frequency: Air conditioner will face more wear and tear if it is being used more frequently. Constant use without any break will affect its long-term usage.
- Duration: Longer duration of usage of air conditioner can damage its parts and it can experience more wear and tear.
- Humidity and Temperature: If an air conditioner works in extreme temperatures and high levels of humidity, it can face wear and tear which shortens its lifespan.
Maintenance plays a crucial role in the lifespan of an air conditioner. Maintaining an air conditioner ensures good-quality cooling. Maintenance requires some basic steps which are as follows:
- Cleaning: All parts of air conditioners require to be cleaned in a specific way after some time. For instance, the filters need to be cleaned with a warm wet piece of cloth.
Water should be drained after 8-10 hours from the water tank which will prevent mold and microorganisms to grow in the air conditioner.
- Levels of Refrigerant: HVAC technicians can check the refrigerant level and it can be maintained. A low level of refrigerant can put strains on a compressor.
- Lubricants: Some parts of the air conditioner require lubricants such as the fan and motor. Lubrication helps these parts to play their role effectively and faster.
The quality of an air conditioner works directly proportional to the working of air conditioners. If the air conditioner is of high quality, it has a long lifespan.
If you purchase an air conditioner of low quality, it negatively affects the capacity of its cooling power and the functioning of other parts.
How to Prolong the Lifespan of a Portable Air Conditioner?
It is not assured that your air conditioner will last up to a specified period. It can be prolonged by considering a few steps.
Step 1: Follow the instructions:
Follow the instructions given in writing by the manufacturer. It will help operate properly and maintain it for a longer period.
Step 2: Cleaning and Maintaining:
Clean your air conditioner without using harmful detergents and drain water on time. Dirt and dirt on filters and other parts of the ac decreases the efficiency of the air conditioner and it needs to work harder than before.
Step 3: Balanced Humidity Level:
The level of humidity in the room or area should not be more than the capacity of the air conditioner.
The size of the room should also not be larger than the cooling power capacity of the air conditioner.
Otherwise, it will have to utilize more of its energy over time and it will become less efficient.
When Should You Replace the Air Conditioner?
An average lifespan of an air conditioner is 5-10 years but it is affected by some external factors due to which some air conditioners face wear and tear.
There are some signs with which you can detect the requirement to replace your air conditioner.
- Energy Bills: If you are receiving higher energy bills, it means your air conditioner needs to be replaced. With every passing year your air conditioner loses up to 9% of its efficiency which increases the electricity bills. It becomes less efficient and uses more electricity.
- Noise: If you hear highly increased noise during the working of an air conditioner like grinding and squealing, it means there is some technical issue in your air conditioner. You need an HVAC expert to identify and fix the issue in your ac.
- Leaks: If there is leakage of water from the water tank or filters, it can damage the motor and fan of the unit. It directly hurts the cooling capacity and it can burn the motor or fan.
Portable air conditioners have a long lifespan of 5-10 years but their capacity for life depends on external factors such as maintenance, humidity level, and usage.
To use it for the long term, you should pay attention to the manufacturer’s instructions. Maintaining an air conditioner will support prolonging the good quality functioning of the air conditioner.